richTurd is going to do the Jerdon Mountain Challenge (http://www.blueridgeadventures.net/jerdon/) which is essentially ORAMM to aid station #2 then ride the road back to town. Here's the directions for everything after Kitsuma, if I get something wrong someone please correct me....I've only done that Star Gap - Road to Nowhere route once.
- Go past the Geyser
- Go past the Mills Creek Road climb (gravel road on the left which is an alternate climb to Kitsuma, you pass it immediately after passing under the railroad bridge)
- About 500ft after that there is a open field and a church? or some white building on your right....stay on the road
- Right after that there is a trail on the right going up into the wood.
- Go up that trail and crossing the railroad track
- You will ride through a creek and an open campsite. Stay RIGHT up the gnar hike-a-bike hill.
- You will eventually start climbing a bunch of switchback (this is the end of Heartbreak, you're going up it)
- After a while you'll hit another split in the trail at Star Gap, go RIGHT (if you go left you'll be going even farther up Heartbreak)
- Star Gap will turn into the Road to Nowhere
- Eventually you'll end up in a little parking lot for hikers, etc
- Turn RIGHT out of there onto Curtis Creek Rd.
- When you hit 70/East Main Street turn RIGHT, this will take you back into Old Fort
* If you parked at the Old Fort Picnic Area you still have a nice road ride back to your car.
GPS of this route here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41924620
FIVE STAGES OF PASA INITIATION -- Step one - IGNORED // Step two - ACKNOWLEDGED // Step three - BUTTHURT // Step four - MOLAR BUTTHURT // step five - GUNCHED